Invited to a Memorial Day Barbecue and aren’t sure what you want to bring?
I did a little searching around the internets and found a great article about such side dishes at epicurious. I want to make all of them. But, I guess I will have to choose a couple to highlight here. How about a couple of classics?
Hot and Smoky Baked Beans
- 6 bacon slices
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups purchased barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup dark beer
- 1/4 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 to 6 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chilies
- 6 15- to 16-ounce cans Great Northern beans, drained
- Chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Transfer 2 1/2 tablespoons bacon drippings from skillet to large bowl. Finely chop bacon; add to bowl. Add onion and next 7 ingredients to bowl and whisk to blend. Whisk in 4 to 6 teaspoons chipotle chilies, depending on spiciness desired. Stir in beans. Transfer bean mixture to 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Bake uncovered until liquid bubbles and thickens slightly, about 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
and…I’m gonna go with Succotash. Because it’s fun to say “succotash.”
- 2 bacon slices (2 oz), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 3 to 4 ears)
- 1 lb fresh lima beans in pods, shelled (1 1/2 cups), or
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup diced (1/3 inch) green bell pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch pieces, keeping white and pale green parts separate from greens
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Cook bacon in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, then add butter to fat in skillet and melt over moderate heat. Add corn, lima beans, bell pepper, and white and pale green parts of scallions and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add cream, water, salt, and pepper, then simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in bacon, scallion greens, and salt and pepper to taste.